Monday, February 2, 2009

Bottles...and I don't mean Boone's Farm!

Yesterday morning as I walked into the NICU, I was surprised to see the nurse holding Seth and giving him a bottle!! I thought it wouldn't be for a few more days, but she decided to try it because he was showing "interest." Anyway, my oldest son took the bottle like he had been waiting for it is whole life. Wait. He HAS been waiting for it is whole life. Well, he took the whole bottle, anyway, which I guess is a pretty big deal. And he took it fast...like his momma used to drink Haitian rum and Diet Coke in her younger days.

So, the nurse passed him to me, and I finished giving him the bottle before I went to Sioux City for the night to take care of a few things (aka support my husband as he roots for the Steelers).

Then today I called the NICU to check on the kids while I was finishing up in SC and getting ready to head back to O-town and see my babies. The nurse then told me that ALL of the kids had taken bottles! I couldn't believe it.

For those of you who don't know, the kids have take bottles for 48 hours straight before they can come home....so, this is a pretty big deal. Of course, they also have to gain/maintain their weight for a week as well as their body temperature and a few other steps as well.

Then the nurse said the doc wanted to talk to me, and he told me that they are all doing very well, and that they might be able to come home in two weeks, maybe a little more!!! Woo hoo! I was thinking it would be more like four weeks, so this was a bit of a surprise. I decided to stay a few more hours at home and do a few more things around the house to "get ready" before heading back.

When I got back to Omaha, I was able to give each of our darling babies a bottle...they took it all! So, needless to say, Kevin and I are pretty darn excited about their progress, and can't wait for them to get home. However, Carter freaked me out a few times while I was holding him...his heart rate dropped three times! the nurse explained that it was probably just reflux, but I am sure as his heart slowed, mine stopped. I didn't like that very much.

Two other updates: Lily's red blood cell count is a little low, and if it is lower next week, they might give her a transfusion. This is common in preemies, I guess. Also, Seth is taking medicine for being hypothyroid...like his mother. He might just have to take it for a little while, he might take it forever. Regardless, we know about it and he is getting treated for it.

I am off to bed...after I call the NICU to make sure that Carter hasn't had anymore "episodes," that is!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOO HOO FOR BOTTLES!!!!! Even if they'renot Boone's Farm!! This is GREAT news, Jess!! Thanks again for the updates!!!