Friday, January 16, 2009

Update & More pictures

Dad and Carter John





Lily Patricia Marie






Logan Steen


Seth Philip








Mom and Lily Patricia Marie





The greatest news for us is that ALL of the babies are doing awesome. They are all free of any breathing assistance! How freaking cool is that?! The bummer is that we aren't really supposed to touch them, and definitely not rub or pat them...apparently their nerves aren't developed enough to handle that kind of stimulation, so they end up burning calories by being touched (I wish it were that easy for ME to burn calories!). The kids need to save all their calories for growing and energy for eating.
They are getting regular feedings through a tube in their nose that goes to their tummies. Two of them have a little bit of the jaundice and so they are tanning under a blue light with some sweet shades on (seriously).
Otherwise, in a week they are going to have sonograms of their heads (weird, if you ask me) and then in four weeks they will have some testing done on their eyes. Both of these tests are fairly standard for preemies, but we should be okay because they are "older" preemies.
I don't know if I have told you yet, but the babies are absolutely adorable! The Sioux City Journal is going to run a story on us sometime (maybe tomorrow, for all I know), Channel 9 is interviewing us tomorrow, and Channel 4 is interviewing me in Omaha on Sunday, and Kevin in Sioux City on Sunday afternoon.
We have had many visitors, which has been great. My mom, Kevin's parents, Vinnie and Helen, Patty and Joe, Mandy, Philip and Kelly, Gail, Leslie, and Emily (from my St. Matthew days!). have all been here to see the Fab Four. Tomorrow my step dad and sister Sarah are coming, as well as some of Kevin's family. Sunday I think two of my Sioux City aunts are coming, too! Of course, Renee has been visiting us via Skype. Let's just say we have a lot to show off here!

I don't know our plan for the future weeks yet. I THINK that I will be discharged tomorrow, but I'll stay in the area for a week. Then I will run home for a few days, get some things settled around the house (I haven't been there for almost 3 months) and then get back to the NICU to be with the kids. Kevin will be going back to work right away on Sunday or Monday. He is trying to save vacation time for when we bring the babies home for good!
It is about that time that I go to the NICU and visit my darling offspring. Love to you all!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Precious! Absolutely precious!

Sarah said...

OMG. You said "the kids" a lot. That is ... crazy.

Cassidy said...

your itw is online
http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/articles/2009/01/17/news/top/dee21df8b92a1ea386257540007fb390.txt

kristin kramer said...

Love the update. And so good to chat with you last night. Thanks!

Karen Wiebel said...

Thanks for the update. Love the names! Can't wait to meet those little babes!

C said...

They are so cute! I'm so glad to hear that all are doing well! Looking forward to more updates!
Cara

Anonymous said...

congrats on teh quads. my wife and i are also expecting. she is 28 weeks along and at methodist. good job on making it to 31 weeks. best of luck to both of you. we will keep you and the kids in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jess,
I would like to come and see you and all the babies next sat. Hope to stay with Onica and Kyle overnight. Do you still needa pump?

Love you
June

Anonymous said...

They are all beautiful! So glad everyone is healthy! Kelley F

Anonymous said...

It brings tears to my eyes...they are beautiful! Kerrie

Anonymous said...

Jessica & Kevin,
Your babies are so precious! There just aren't adequate words for the awesomeness of this, is there? I love the names, too. Some day when they are running around and you yell at one or two of them, you'll be rattling off all those names till you get the right name, and they'll be laughing! All us moms do that - even those of us who only have one baby at a time!
Love & Prayers, Laurie Dreier

Anonymous said...

Jessica-- I can't even tell you how happy I am for you!! I keep thinking about last summer at CAYOCA when we talked and you told me how much you wanted children and now look what God has blessed you with!! All for of the babies look absolutely adorable. You are going to be such an amazing mom!! Congrats to you and Kevin both!!

--Linsey

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Beautiful babies. It took us 8 years to get 4 kids. Way to go. God bless your whole family.
The Collins Family

Anonymous said...

Hey Jessica,
Glad to hear that you and the babies are doing great. Sorry I missed seeing all of you on Friday. Get as much rest as you can now because once you get those lovely darlings home it will be hard to come by! All of you are in our prayers!

Anonymous said...

I seriously can't stop smiling with tears of joy for you both :) Everytime there's an update i have to grab my kleenix box!!! Hahaha!!! I'm sooooooooo happy for you both, and just can't tell you enough how awesome it is for those kids to have such kick *** parents!!!